Wednesday, October 2, 2013

One Month Down, and Infinity to Go

I can not begin to describe the amazingness (yes, I'm using "amazingness" which is obviously not a real word) of this last month. My daughter, London, is now a month old and the changes that happen each and every day are beautiful, emotional, and have been eagerly anticipating the changes to come.

You may remember that London was born with some mild trauma including a little bent nose which I can happily say is completely normal thank you very much. She gets a little more hair each week and is, quite frankly, looking more and more stunning every day. But I may be slightly biased as I am her extremely proud mommy.


Mommy. I'm still getting used to this new role. Well, maybe not the role itself but the word "mommy". I had this conversation with my own Mom yesterday about the adjustment period of a new title. She's still adjusting to being Nana as I'm adjusting to being Mama. It's like the transition from calling Brandon my boyfriend, to my fiance, and now my husband. It was an adjustment period each time and I kept catching myself calling him by the wrong title. And again when I became his wife as Mrs. Nissen. But now saying my maiden name sounds silly. And I imagine I'll have the same reaction soon about being London's Mom. It will sound silly to think of myself of anyone else. I was not a Mom for 25 years but I will be for the rest of my life.

And I'm hoping to get back to posting at least once a week - I know my husband would like that. He's the reason I'm posting today. He's been bugging me about getting a new blog up and this one will be live just in time for him to read it before his check ride. He's back in Dallas finishing up his training to be a Captain for American Eagle Airlines. To say I'm proud of him is an understatement. I know being away from London is hard for him especially so soon in her life when each day is something new - well, it's new to us!

That's the great thing about our world of technology. I can send Brandon pictures and videos, we can video chat through Skype, and he can be as involved as possible. As a military brat, I wish we had the technology readily available when my own Dad was deployed overseas for up to a year at a time. That chat once a month for less than 10 minutes was all we got and we were beyond grateful for it. Now, London's daddy doesn't have to go more than a few hours without seeing her. It really is an amazing thing to have him away from home but so connected.

So, I'm grateful for the technology we have available, for the time and patience and helpfulness of my Mom staying with me while Brandon is away, for our friends who have come over to meet Little London and dote on her, and, finally, grateful for the continued love and support from all of our friends and family. Thank you for everything from the little text messages just to "check-up" on us to spending weeks out of your life to help me keep my sanity.

Here's hoping that the next installment isn't far away!

1 comment: